Evening Gown – Sewing

This project was done a while ago, I made this in May of 2009. Sometimes a project picks you and you have to do it. This was that kind of project. I love evening gowns and sewing and satin material, so the three of those things collided and I was compelled to make something. I found this pattern in the Vogue section at Fabricland, as well as the fabric and notions. When I got it home I realize every piece of the pattern was unique and nothing was cut out in doubles, as is usually the case. It was great fun getting all the pieces to fit on the fabric.

After a bunch of tries everything was ready to cut out, with all the biases, right side of fabric, and fold pieces in the right spots.

I held the pins in my mouth which is not recommended but sometimes it happens.

Then it was time to iron on all the interfacing and start pinning all the pieces together. It started with the bodice, which had an asymmetric waste line meaning each piece had to match exactly to achieve the right affect. Thankfully Vogue patterns are very accurate.

The back of the bodice already has the zipper installed at this point. The lining was next and fairly easy to sew.

This corset piece, (above right) that was in the bodice between the lining and the outer shell, was fairly difficult to put together. As you can see the lining has interfacing applied as well as strips of ribbon pinned on. Those ribbon strips were sewn on and a tunnel was left in the center of the ribbon where I later inserted plastic boning to ensure the bodice would have a good form. It was intricate but so rewarding because it looked amazing afterwards.

The front skirt gather (above left)was a lot of work because it had to be pinned exactly and then hand basted and sewn. this picture shows it half completed. The pins mark where the rest of the pleats will be made, and the distance between them.

Then the Skirt was attached to and bodice (left), and I thought I was almost done. I still had to make the flowers to embellish it, but thats for another post. Below is the finished project.

New Baby Booties – Crochet

It all started with a granny square blanket, well actually it started with yarn lust. The yarn was exceptionally soft and had such a pretty combination of colours. There was purple, light green, yellow and then a variegated one to match. I made the granny square blanket first and had just a little yarn to spare. My sister had sent me some patterns she purchased (here) to have me make booties for her new baby girl. Well those scraps screamed at me to make more booties to go with this blanket.

As you can see I had all the patterns and was trying to decide which ones to make.

I started with the purple and made the sole of the bootie.

Then I switched thread and used the variegated one to do the pattern part, and completed it with purple, and sewed on the little white buttons.

The second pair made with pearly white and pink yarn. I love these!!

This is the completed product. I think they turned out well and they only took me about 45 minutes each Bootie.