In January I finally tackled our older style fireplace with the intention of updating it but not breaking the bank, as well as not hating it in the end. I was a little scared of how it would turn out but you never know if you don’t try, so I read a couple blogs and narrowed down the different things I wanted to try. Here is a picture of our fireplace how it was originally:
As you can see the paint job around it was kinda weird and sloppy and the Brass cover with smoke stained Bricks just wasn’t feeling very uplifting. Even with Christmas Decorations it felt sad. So I started by removing the brass cover (it was secured with several screws on the inside and not difficult to remove) and cleaning the brick. To clean it I simply vacuumed all the crevices and then wiped it down with a cloth soaked in water and vinegar, that’s it!!
I think it looked even worse after that but it pushed me to be brave and keep going. After taping off the edges it was time to get started with the painting. I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint the color Paris Grey, and the 32 oz size.
I mixed a cup of paint with 3 cups of water and it was close to the consistency of Milk. Then painted it on the bricks and the mortar. It was easy enough to do but the first coat was tricky as it had to be forced into all the nooks and crannies, but with the paint being so watered down that made it a lot easier to apply.
Looking kinda strange
At first it looked like it wouldn’t fully cover the different colors of the stones (and the first coat didn’t) but I kept going. Two hours after the first coat I applied a second one and this time the paint wasn’t quite as watered down, so it was more like 1 cup paint to 2 1/2 cups water.
It looked so good already but needed to dry overnight to even out all the different tones. Once it was dry it looked great in comparison to the original, but very flat, like poured concrete.
So I went to home depot and bought a can of Stone White Flat Interior Paint.
Using this paint the next day I dry brushed the front of just the stones. To dry brush you take a dry brush and dip just the very tip in the paint, and then brush it along a scrap cloth (I used a t-shirt) until there is almost no paint on the brush. Then you brush the brick lightly at first but harder to apply the amount you like the look of.
This was fun but took a lot of time and patience. I didn’t want to apply too much paint and lose the marbled affect so it was just a matter of going over it with a touch on my brush till it was enough.
But as you can see in the picture above, it brought out the character and depth of the bricks so well.I was careful to make sure I didn’t brush in the grout lines so they stayed flat grey.
I love it!!!
But then I had to finish the brass front. I had considered leaving it off but decided with littles around, that was probably not a good idea. So I disassembled the front as best I could, taped off the glass, and laid it on plastic.
And then spray painted it with high heat Black paint from Rust-oleum.
Now I’ve never been good at spray painting but this time I tried something I had read online. They suggested to paint very very thin layers and just wait an hour in between and then do it again. Obviously this was why I’ve always had runs and weird paint spots since I’m not very patient and usually try to get it all covered in two coats 🙂 well I tried the many light coats and it worked great. I think I did seven coats throughout the course of an entire day, but it turned out looking amazing.
So after reassembling it and installing it back onto the fireplace my fireplace makeover on a budget was complete.
What a difference a little paint and elbow grease can make!! My total cost for this makeover was about $75.00.
If you have Questions please post them in the comments and I will try to answer them all.
First Birthday Party with the new look!
This was the blog that most inspired me. http://erin-artandgardens.blogspot.com/2013/02/painted-stone-fireplace-before-and-after.html